Machete-wielding suspect leads officers on high-speed chase through San Antonio

Machete-wielding suspect leads officers on high-speed chase through San Antonio (Photo: Sinclair Broadcast Group)

SAN ANTONIO - Police said a man with a machete cut two women and then led officers on a high-speed chase through several streets north of Downtown before crashing at Euclid and Wilmington.

The two women are fighting for their lives at San Antonio Military Medical Center .

Frankie Campbell has owned this property off army drive for more than 50 years. She says there are 6 apartments inside that she rents. Early this morning, one of those apartments became a crime scene.

"I have no idea but it’s a mess in there, they had quite a fight."

Campbell says her tenant Christine, who is her 50's had a violent boyfriend.

She says last night he attacked Christine and her friend with what police say was a machete.

"She has had trouble with him but she keeps letting people in, it doesn't matter. This thing about forgive, she has it in her heart but she doesn't realize danger,” said Campbell.

SAPD Chief William McManus says both women were in very serious condition when ems arrived.

"the injuries were very severe,” said San Antonio police Chief William McManus.

The man responsible for the stabbings was nowhere to be found in the house. Police got a description of a white van leaving, and soon caught up with him. He led police on a chase for more than 20 minutes, in, out and around traffic, putting dozens of lives in danger.

"The whole time all I was thinking is someone is going to die or get hurt. I am glad no one got injured as a result of that, chase witness Valerie Bocanegra.

The wild chase was captured by our news helicopter; A man driving a minivan sped down streets, hitting several cars and jumping curbs. At one point, he tried to flee several police officers by driving down Highway 281 South toward the Downtown area. The chase came to an end at Euclid and Wilmington, and the suspect was taken into custody.

The attack happened around 7:30 a.m. Thursday at an apartment on Army Drive. The landlord at the apartment complex said one of the injured women was arguing with her boyfriend early this morning. Police say the man eventually pulled out a machete during that fight and stabbed two women, seriously injuring them.

The landlord said her tenant “Christine” and a woman visiting her were the two victims involved. She said the man accused of attacking them would help with maintenance on the property but was known to have a temper.

The landlord told us Christine is in her 50s and was not in good health. She and the other victim were taken to San Antonio Military Medical Center with life-threatening injuries.

Police say the man jumped in a minivan after the attack and then led police on a chase along Highway 281 North. They say he then headed back Downtown, driving erratically, swiping cars, and narrowly missing one woman who found herself in this dangerous situation.

"The whole time I was thinking someone was gonna die or get hurt,” said Valeria Bocanegra, who narrowly avoided colliding with the suspect. “I am glad no one got hurt as a result of that. I just was shocked like. I didn't plan to see nothing like this - this morning next thing you know I am in the middle of this speed chase..."

The chase lasted for more than 20 minutes, with the wanted driver crashing the minivan less than a mile and a half from the apartment where it all started.

The suspect, who is in his 40s, is in now police custody.

San Antonio Police Chief William McManus said officers only chase suspects in felony assaults. Police say they found a machete inside the van.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off