Fire started by candle forces two Chattanooga women from home Thursday morning

Image: Chattanooga Fire Department.

Two women narrowly escaped serious injuries Thursdasy morning when fire broke out in their home.

Chattanooga Fire Department spokesman Bruce Garner says firefighters received the alarm shortly before 9:00 this morning and responded to 4615 Old Mission Road with five fire companies.

Captain Keith Liles with Squad 13 said smoke and flames were coming out the front window and front door when the first firefighters arrived on the scene. Both of the women who lived there were already outside.

One of the women told firefighters that she woke up to see flames in her room. She woke up her roommate and together they tried to put the fire out themselves using water from a sink.

When they realized they couldn't get the fire out themselves, they got out. By that time, a neighbor had called 911.

One of the women was cut and suffered second degree burns to one of her hands. An ambulance took her to a local hospital.

Spokesman Bruce Garner says the fire was started by a candle, and has been ruled accidental.

There's no word yet on how much damage the fire caused.

Volunteers with the American Red Cross were called in to provide assistance to the fire victims. Chattanooga police also provided assistance on the scene.

Firefighter's Advice

The Chattanooga Fire Department suggests using flashlights or flameless candles for light. However, if you are going to use candles, they advise you take the following steps:

  • Blow out all candles when you leave the room or go to bed.
  • Avoid the use of candles in the bedroom and other areas where people may fall asleep.
  • Keep candles at least 12 inches away from anything that can burn.
  • Use candle holders that are sturdy, and won't tip over easily.
  • Put candle holders on a sturdy, uncluttered surface.
  • Never leave a child alone in a room with a burning candle.
  • Keep matches and lighters up high and out of children's reach, in a locked cabinet.
close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off