Video: Nashville firefighters demonstrate how NOT to deep fry a turkey
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WZTV) — Do not try this at home.
Nashville firefighters gave a demonstration Friday morning on the wrong way to fry a turkey.
USFA listed the five dangers of deep-frying a turkey:
1. Turkey fryers can easily tip over, spilling hot cooking oil over a large area.
2. An overfilled cooking pot will cause cooking oil to spill when the turkey is put in, and a partially frozen turkey will cause cooking oil to splatter when put in the pot.
3. Even a small amount of cooking oil spilling on a hot burner can cause a large fire.
4. Without thermostat controls, deep fryers can overheat oil to the point of starting a fire.
5. The sides of the cooking pot, lid and pot handles can get dangerously hot.
Questions during cooking? You can call the food safety line toll free at 1-888-674-6854.